- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2.10.2010

sweet dreams.

remember what happened when you were little and you had a really bad dream?  mine were usually about spiders or fires.  (except that one time i dreamed about the evil fox in my front yard)  but, i'd wake up and sit still in bed, imagining spiders all around me trying to eat me or just crawling all over my floor.  when i got the courage, i would run into my parents room and curl up in their bed, sleeping the rest the night in peace.  there's something about having your parents right there that makes you feel better as a kid, right? 

last night i had such a scary dream!!  i dreamed i was in the movie planet earth.  i was swimming around experiencing first-hand the ocean.  there was a narrator and all the sudden he started talking about sharks.  this family of sharks swam towards me and swim as i might i couldn't get away.  i tried hiding in the coral reefs and ledges of rock, but to no avail.  they snapped at me.  they wanted to eat me.  there was this ledge, kind of like in finding nemo, that once you went off the edge it just went down and down and you couldn't see the bottom.  i was teetering off the edge and felt like i was going to fall to my death if they kept snapping at me, that is, if they didn't eat me first :(  what was weirdest was i didn't have any scuba gear on and felt as if i was going to drown any minute.  i could see perfectly, but naturally i couldn't breathe and was panicking because of these sharks.  i cried for help but no one could hear me, not even the narrator.  the movie played on.  

as a shark bit my foot, i flinched and was all the sudden in the dentist chair.  he stopped working and asked if it hurt.  i whined that i needed a new movie to watch, that planet earth was too scary after all.  he put in australia instead and went back to work on my teeth.  my mouth filled up with fluid and i couldn't breathe again.  i felt like i was drowning all over again and the music on my new movie was far too intense.  he finished the filling finally and i stood up, gasping for air.  he asked me to rinse and when i did, 3 of my teeth he'd been working on fell out.  then, the rest of them fell out.  (i dream about my teeth falling out a lot... apparently it's supposed to mean you're really anxious about things...?)  it was painful.  my whole mouth ached so badly.  clint threw me (literally threw me) back into the dentist chair and started work again immediately.  i fought it, but the whole dental staff was closing in on me.  pretty soon they blindfolded me and tied me to the chair so i wouldn't move.  i couldn't see.  i couldn't breathe.  i was in pain. 

ya know how sometimes when you're sleeping, you get in this weird limbo state, like you know you're sleeping, but you're awake enough to know you're asleep?  (if that makes sense)  i find if i'm just conscious enough i can tell myself to wake up. luckily enough i was able to shake myself awake, then sat in bed shivering with fear.  i don't even know why, i swear it wasn't even that scary of a dream, but i was terrified.  glancing at the clock i realized i'd only been in bed for 20 minutes.  it was going to be a long night.  i could hear my roommates talking and laughing way too loud in the living room, and my mind kept wandering.  what if i really was drowning?  what if that crazy guy who's been robbing houses up here comes in ours tonight?  what if my roommates slept through it and i got kidnapped?  i'm really good at the worst-case-scenario game...even when it has nothing to do with sharks... haa. 

the only logical thing i could think to do was call my mom.  so i did.  bless her heart she answered.  i told her what had happened and she calmed me right down.  i felt a little silly: here i am, a 20-year-old college student calling her mom in the middle of the night because she had a bad dream... who does that?  i do, ha ha... we talked for a bit and then she wished me sweet dreams (which she used to do every day of my life till i moved out) and told me she loved me.  she said she wished i could come curl up in bed with her, he he, and since my dad's in georgia it wouldn't have been weird, don't worry... but after i hung up with her i slept the best i have in a long time.  juvenile as it may sound, i miss my mom tucking me in every night and telling me "sweet dreams".  aren't moms great?!  i miss mine everyday!  :)

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh. that is THE WEIRDEST dream i have heard in a LONG time. holy cow. im sorry! :( you could have called me! haha but moms are MUCH better. dont you even fret, i call my mommy all the time. people make fun of me for it, but i dont even care. im glad you finally got some sleep <3 love you!

    ReplyDelete